‘Tough cookie’ 79-year-old coronavirus patient discharged as hospital staff cheers

‘Tough cookie’ 79-year-old coronavirus patient discharged as hospital staff cheers

By: John Tunison | April 11, 2020 Grand Rapids, MI (MLIVE) – Marie Moran describes her mom as a “tough cookie.” At 79 and with asthma and COPD, she managed to pull through twice from dire circumstances brought on by COVID-19. Catherine Yeaw was discharged Friday, April 10, from Metro Health in Wyoming amid fanfare from nurses and medical staff who lined a hallway as she was wheeled to an elevator.

Yeaw now heads to a rehabilitation center/nursing home to finish her recovery. She’s expected to be there a couple of weeks. Moran said her mother’s recovery seems nothing short of miraculous given her underlying health conditions and that she had a bout with pneumonia in February.

Moran gives much credit to the doctors and nurses at Metro Health.

“I believe they went above and beyond to help her. I’m just so thankful for what they did,” said said from her Florida home where they are under a stay-at-home order.

Her mother went into the hospital March 22 and she tested positive for COVID-19 two days later. She was intubated and family members were concerned then that she wouldn’t pull through.

But Yeaw quickly showed signs of recovery. Within a few days, doctors were nearly ready to discharge her.

“We thought she was doing pretty good, then she had a setback,” Moran said.

Her medical condition again was dire.

“They said her lungs were full of fluid,” Moran said.

In a Facebook post about her mother’s medical journey, Moran explained it like this:

“When she was first admitted it didn’t look like she would survive. She was intubated and after 2 days was removed and was doing well……… She was about to be released to rehab and within 24hrs, we almost lost her again” she wrote.

Yeaw then was intubated for a second time. Doctors gave her drugs used to combat COVID-19.

Slowly, she began to shows signs of improvement. She was under sedation for a period. Her voice, which turned “raspy” when she got COVID-19, began improving.

Moran and other family members have not been able to visit Yeaw in person, but nursing staff have helped her connect daily via video with relatives.

It’s not clear where Yeaw contracted the virus.

She lived with another daughter in the southern part of Grand Rapids and “basically didn’t go anywhere,” Moran said.

“We don’t know how she got it,” she said.

Yeaw’s chilren and grandchildren have been pulling for her.

“She’s a spunky person. She’s that kind of woman,” Moran said.

Catherine Yeaw (Cortesy: Marie Moran)
Catherine Yeaw, 79, was discharged Friday, April 10 from Metro Health hospital after she tested positive for COVID-19 on March 24 (Coutesy: Metro Health)